Canada is home to millions of visitors each year. In fact, more than 35 million people visit Canada every year to enjoy the many opportunities the country has to offer, including visiting family and friends. If you wish to come to CANADA TOURSIT VISA for a temporary purpose, you may need a TRV, unless you are a citizen from a “visa exempt” country.
Do I Need a Tourist Visa to Visit Canada?
Before starting the Canada visitor visa application process, it’s important to understand whether you need one or not before entering Canada. Click here to find out if you need a Canada visitor visa before your travels!
In other cases, you may be an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to travel.
What Is A Canadian TRV (Visitor Visa)?
A Canada Visitor Visa also referred to as a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Canada Tourist Visa, is an official document issued by a Canadian visa office that is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident (either as a visitor, a student, or a worker).
Types of Canada Visitor Visas
- Temporary Resident
How Long Can I Stay in Canada on a Tourist Visa?
Most visitors can stay for up to 6 months in Canada. At the port of entry, the immigration border services may allow you to stay for less or more than 6 months. Once you are given a period of stay, they’ll put the date you need to leave in your passport. The immigration officer might also give you a document called a visitor record, which will show the date you need to leave by.
Canada Tourist Visa Requirements
To qualify for a TRV, there are a few basic requirements you must meet which include:
- have a valid travel document (like a passport)
- be in good health
- have no criminal or immigration-related convictions
- convince an immigration officer that you have ties—such as a job, home, financial assets, or family that will take you back to your home country
- convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit
- have enough money for your stay
How to Apply for a Tourist Visa in Canada
There are three major steps to successfully applying for Canada Visitor Visa. These steps include:
Step 1: Check if you’re eligible to travel to Canada
Step 2: Gather all your supporting documents
Step 3: Apply Online
Documents Required For Canada Tourist Visa
There are five major documents you are required to show when applying for a TRV. Note that each immigration case is a little different depending on your specific situation, but generally, you should have the following documentation when applying for a ‘Temporary Resident Visa’ in Canada.
Canada Visitor Visa Checklist
- Proof of your ties to your home country
- Proof of funds for your visit to Canada
- ID such as a passport or county resident card
- A letter of invitation from the person inviting you to come to Canada
- Proof that you will be staying in Canada only on a temporary basis
Disclaimer: There may be other documents and information that you may need. Individuals must obtain a TRV before departure from their home country. Individuals cannot obtain a TRV upon arrival in Canada.
Canadian Visitor Visa FAQ
Visitor Visa Processing Time
A visitor visa processing time can depend on which country the applicant is applying from. Typically, the time can vary from a couple of days to a few weeks for a Canada Visitor Visa processing time. If you apply from within CANADA VISA FOR TOURISTS, the processing time is only 12 days. Visit our page on Canada Visa Processing Times for 2022 to learn more.
Common Questions and Cases
Study TR to PR
Is There a Honeymoon Visa?
Tourist Visa vs. Visitor Visa
Do I Need a Visitor Visa for a Business Meeting in Canada?
Top 3 Frequently Asked Questions About Canada Tourist Visas
1. What if you leave Canada and then return before your visitor visa expires?
2. Can I extend my visitor status?
3. Who does not need a visitor visa for Canada?
How to Extend a Canadian Visitor Visa
If you’re currently in Canada and want to stay longer than your visa’s expiration date, you could file for an extension. In order to apply for an extension, you will need to fill out an IMM 5708 Form.
If your application to extend your stay in Canada is approved, you will receive a visitor record.
A visitor record:
- is a document that says how long you can stay in Canada
- includes an expiry date
- that’s the date that you must leave Canada by
A visitor record does not guarantee entry to Canada. If you plan to travel outside Canada or the United States, you need a valid entry document to return to Canada.
What are the Requirements to Extend a Canada Visitor Visa?
- You need to be currently in Canada
- You need to hold a current passport that will stay valid for the duration of your stay
- You will need to pay the associated fee for Form IMM 5708
- You will need to ensure that any other permits that you hold (Study or work) will stay valid and not interfere with your visitor permit.
Canada Visitor Visa Restoration
Once your current visitor visa expires, you are no longer to extend your visitor visa. If you want to stay in Canada then you will have to apply to restore your status or you will have to leave Canada. You have to apply for a Restoration of Status within 90 days of your visitor visa expiration date.
Restoration of Status Requirements
- Pay Restoration Fees
- Provide details on:
- Why you want to stay in Canada longer
- Proof of current status in Canada
- Financial proof that you will be able to support yourself in Canada
- A plan of when you will leave Canada with departure time and dates.
- Demostrate that your residence in Canada is temporary.
Why Seeking Professional Immigration Help is Important
While the procedures for applying for a Canadian Visitor Visa may seem uncomplicated, some applicants apply without seeking any help from an immigration lawyer, thinking that they can ‘do it themselves’. For TRV applications, there is actually a higher risk of refusal in cases where the application is not properly prepared. The standards are very high. We find that the number one reason why applications are denied is due to forms not being correctly filled out. It is a shame when someone can not fulfill their dreams because of one missed ‘dotted i’ or ‘crossed t’. You can increase your chances at getting an approval on your TRV applications with the assistance of professional immigration professionals.
Why Hire Us to Help You With Your TRV Applications
Many of our clients are happy to relieve themselves of the headaches of preparing paperwork and having to deal with government red tape by outsourcing this work to our professional team of immigration professionals. It is extremely satisfying to see our clients enter Canada with a Canadian Visitor Visa to see their family and friends or to travel through Canada’s wonderful landscape without all the hassles of filing tons of complicated paperwork. We have literally helped thousands and thousands of people successfully visit Canada, and even though no one can promise any guarantees, we are certain we can help you increase your chances with our extensive experience.