Self-Sponsorship is an application to work in the United Kingdom for your own company without the requirement for a UK Sponsor.
Following the termination of the Investor visa route, firms seeking to grow in the United Kingdom now have extremely restricted choices, which come with several drawbacks. The Self-Sponsorship visa, on the other hand, may be a viable answer to this issue.
Self-sponsorship is a novel concept that few people are aware of, but it might be the right option for businesses that are unable to pursue the more well-known pathways to international expansion in the United Kingdom. The requirements for applying for a Self-sponsorship visa are straightforward. All you need is a sincere desire to start a business and operate an active commercial enterprise in the United Kingdom.
Who is eligible for Self-Sponsorship?
If you are a successful businessperson who has identified a business opportunity or has a great business idea and wants to explore your prospects in the United Kingdom, then the Self-sponsorship route might be right for you. Self-sponsorship not only allows you to run, operate, and maintain your company in the UK, but you’ll also be able to reside in the country without the fear of losing your visa.
Anyone who meets all of the following requirements is eligible for self-sponsorship:
- Has a business idea or has discovered a pre-existing UK firm to take over.
- Has experience or skills or qualification(s) in the field of the business they wish to start.
- Has sufficient resources to sustain its projected UK business.
Please keep in mind that there is no requirement for a minimum or maximum investment in your business endeavour. It might range from £25,000 to more than £50,000, depending on your business needs.
- Has a person who is settled in the UK or a British citizen take on the Authorising Officer’s obligations
- Has the capacity to take and pass a Level B1 English language exam, as per the Home Office requirements.
How to Apply for a Self-Sponsored Visa
The application for a self-sponsorship visa is a three-step process. Smaller business owners can start or purchase a company in the UK, register it with the UK government organisation that grants visa sponsorship licences, and then use the licence to apply for a Skilled Worker visa.
- The first step is establishing a firm in the United Kingdom and applying for a sponsor licence, which allows you to sponsor an overseas worker on a Skilled Worker visa. You may then hire yourself as your company’s expert worker. To come and work for yourself, you will effectively be supporting yourself. The method is fully legal and follows all regulations.
- Once the UK firm is up and operating, the next step is to apply for a Skilled Worker sponsor licence with the UK Home Office. To be successful, a corporation must satisfy certain requirements. The firm, for example, must have established the essential regulations and processes. It is advised that the self-sponsorship visa application be undertaken under the supervision and assistance of a UK legal practitioner to facilitate a seamless transition.
- After your UK firm has been given a Sponsor Licence, the next stage is to hire yourself via your own company and apply for a skilled worker visa based on the job offer. You must fulfil specific requirements to be eligible for a Skilled Worker visa, including English language competence, pay, and educational level. You will be eligible to work in your UK firm and profit from the country’s developing economy if you meet these standards.
Self-Sponsorship Visa processing time:
- Stage 1- Form a corporation in the United Kingdom and apply for a Sponsor Licence.
Your UK corporation can be registered with the aid of a licenced UK accountant. If you are not a UK resident, you will first need to nominate a UK-based Director. You may be a majority stakeholder in a UK company, with a job title ranging from Managing Director to Director of Operations to whatever other necessary position you hold to operate your company.
This whole process will take around 6 to 8 weeks.
- Stage 2- Create and distribute a Human Resources package to your UK organisation.
You must verify that your organisation has the required policies and processes in place to sponsor you as a skilled worker as part of the sponsor licence application process. It will take about two days.
- Stage 3 – Receive a Certificate of Sponsorship and apply for a Skilled Worker Visa.
You’ll need a Defined Certificate of Sponsorship after your UK firm’s Sponsor licence has been approved. This can take around 4 and 12 weeks.
Once you have got the approval, the visa will be valid for 3 to 5 years.
Self-Sponsorship Visa Benefits
Because it has fewer restrictions and application processes, a self-sponsorship visa is an excellent alternative to traditional UK visas. It provides international enterprises with access to the British SME market as well as the opportunity for business owners to become British citizens. There are no restrictions on the sort of business that may be conducted in the United Kingdom under this strategy. Furthermore, there is no minimum or maximum investment necessary to start a business in the United Kingdom; you may own 100% of your firm and act as its director.
Residency and citizenship opportunities
Many company owners may ask if qualifying for a Self-sponsorship visa would eventually lead to British citizenship. Definitely. After five years, you may be eligible for UK residency, and after six years, you may be eligible for British citizenship. You can bring your wives and children under the age of 18 with you.
Why should you choose AY & J Solicitors for assistance?
Overseas people are legally allowed to set up enterprises in the United Kingdom, but they must do it with the help of a licenced UK immigration counsel since certain standards need to be met.
Although the self-sponsorship path is not well-known, our expert immigration attorneys at A Y & J Solicitors have been practising it for over 13 years. Our multi-award-winning, specialist legal firm, guarantees complete ‘hand-holding’ support, resulting in peace of mind, certainty, and a superior outcome. Our services encompass all aspects of sponsorship.
- Introduce you to strategic partners that can help you realise your goal, such as an accountant, a web designer, and a sales/marketing consultant, among others.
- Creating a business strategy for a company]
- Advice on how to create a business bank account
- Prepare and provide advice on your business sponsor licence application.
- Connect with your Authorising Officer to make sure they are prepared and well-trained.
- Prepare your Skilled Worker Application and submit it.
- Provide you with round-the-clock assistance with your UK immigration application.